Last week I found some time to update my fork of Automattic’s P2 theme, aptly titled P2 Categories. In addition to all the greatness of P2, it’s been adding front-page category posting since 2013 (and hasn’t seen an update since then either).
Here’s what’s new in the latest version:
- fixed the drop down menu, which was no longer working since Safari 10
- rewrote the whole theme from scratch, based on P2 v1.5.8 (2016)
- fixed a bug that would not show the correct number of posts in a category
- added new p2-categories-functions.php file
- updated a call to a deprecated WordPress function with wp_get_current_user()
- fixed several PHP 7 deprecation warnings
- updated class constructors to use __construct() methods
- hunted down undocumented features and documented them
- added a changelog file
P2 is no longer maintained by Automattic, except for dire security patches. I’ve noticed several deprecation notices, both for WordPesss 4.9 as well as PHP 7.2.1 and fixed those as well.
Get the latest version on GitHub
You can download the latest version of the theme over on the official GitHub Repository. Feel free to examine the code, tinker with amendmends and share with everyone who wants to use P2 with categories:
Why is this version not on WordPress?
I had submitted previous versions of P2 Categories to the WordPress repos too, and you can still download version 1.5 there. However, since 2013 web standards have become more strict, and there’s no way my theme would pass modern tests the theme team are using for new submissions. Sadly I’m not a web developer and it’ll be very difficult for me to update aspects of the theme I don’t fully understand.
Having said that, if you know how to pass modern web standard tests, feel free to send me a pull request on GitHub.