Hi, I’m Jay Versluis!
I write about how to do things with computers. I like technology, but only when it works. I do a bit of coding sometimes, but I tend to forget how stuff works in detail so I take a lot of notes, or explain a thing or two to my future self. That’s pretty much what I do here.
I also make videos about software on a variety of subjects, from quick tips to full courses. Take a look at the top menu for an overview.
I like 3D things too, but I have another website for that.
Here's my latest YouTube video, brought to you by some magic I found here.
You can find many other videos either on my dedicated Watch Page, or from the drop down menu at the top. They're grouped into playlists to aide discoverability.
Live Stream Schedule
- I’m currently doing two game streams a week on YouTube Saturday and Sundays at 10am EST (3pm UK / 4pm Europe).
- I do occasional 3D development streams on Twitch at around 4pm EST (10pm UK / 11pm Europe). Watch my Twitter feed for updates.
- These times are rough guides only. Sometimes I have connection issues, living close to the ocean and all, which means the internet is ever so slightly flaky (thanks, Pedro!)
This is what I've been writing about lately. You can read more articles either on my Blog Feed, or take a look at the top menu for a full table of contents. There's a list of posts filtered by topic, or if you're looking for anything in particular, use the search function in the menu.
- How to disable Steam Pop-Up Ads on Startup
- How to avoid Firefox from opening on random desktops on macOS
- Removing a software RAID in Fedora
- OneDrive keeps un-deleting files – and how I fixed it (at least on my system)
- How to search across all files in the current Workspace in Visual Studio Code
- Using OBS Virtual Camera with delayed audio in an external app like Zoom, Skype or Discord
- How to add a drive to software RAID with mdadm
- Setting up a Software RAID on CentOS and Fedora with mdadm
- How to add the mail command in CentOS and Fedora
- How to access files on Linux from Windows 10 with a Samba Share
Unearth over ten years worth of content with this handy Tag Cloud. Click you like and browse through the archives of a whole keyword. If you want to drill deeper, take a look at the search function at the top.
Announcements Bookmarks Child Theme Wizard Commodore Commodore Podcast Gaming How To iOS Linux macOS MySQL PHP Plesk Plugins Podcast Python Reviews Screencast Show Me The Cookies Streaming Tech Themes Uncategorized Visual Studio Code Windows WordPress WordPress Podcast Zen Dash
Amazon AWS Apache Apple Audio BASIC C64 C128 CentOS Core Data CSS Dreamweaver Email Fedora Firefox FTP Git How To iOS JetPack macOS Mavericks NC 10 NSDate NSFileManager NSString OBS P2 Parallels Desktop PHP Plus/4 Snapshot Backup Devlog Steam Themes tutorial TwentyThirteen Twitch UINavigationBar UINavigationController UITableView UITableViewCell UIViewController Xcode Yosemite YouTube yum
Who am I?
I'm a broadcast professional by trade, with a background in film and video engineering. I've had various jobs in film and live television for 20 years, ranging from telecine colourist to editor, tape jockey and satellite feed coordinator. I'm essentially "the guy who makes things happen".
Reputable clients included the BBC, MTV, IMG, CNN, Cartoon Network, Reuters, NHK and various other outfits that probably no longer exist. I'm originally from Germany, but lived and worked a lot in the UK before moving to Miami Beach, thanks to winning a Green Card.
On the side, I've been a content creator since the early days of the internet, long before this was a "thing". Over time I found myself running several websites and YouTube channels, dealing with web servers, and helping people get started with WordPress, 3D software or live streaming. I enjoy collaborating on creative projects around 3D art, writing and video games.
In 2016 I nearly died from a complicated case of colon cancer. Thanks to immunotherapy I made a truly miraculous recovery. My doctors call me a Super Survivor. In fact, my case and my story were so impressive that I've written a book about it.
Let's keep in touch!
I do a lot of things across a variety of sites and services. If you'd like to keep an eye on what I'm doing in a unified place, take a look at my Twitter or Facebook feeds. I post new videos and articles there, no matter where they end up.
I also offer some behind-the-scenes progress reports, early access and plans for upcoming things on Ko-fi and Patreon. If you want to say thanks or buy me a coffee, those places are perfect! You can support my work in various other ways too if you like.
I no longer maintain a public email or contact form. The spam just got too much. If you want to get in touch, DM me on any of the social networks or leave a comment (preferable on topic).
If you want to hire me for a project or consultation, you can do that too!