In this episode I’ll show you how to launch a Mac App from the Command Line, so that we can pass parameters. I’ll also explain how to wrap up such a command into your own app and add an icon to it, so that you can launch it from the dock with a single click.
This can be useful if you need to convince Google Chrome or any other app to launch with certain parameters and modify its behaviour somehow. In my example I’m using Blender, and I’m using a startup parameter to change its default render engine upon launch. The same principles apply to any app you need to launch with startup parameters.
The process is as follows:
- find out the full path of the app you want to launch
- try launching your app from the command line
- now add parameters to the end of the launch command
- create an Automator App
- change its icon from from the generic Otto Icon to your desired app’s icon
- drag your new launcher app into the dock
I’ll explain all the gory details in this video.
Enjoy!Catch this episode on my WP Guru Podcast: